Tuesday, February 22, 2022

Hey there friend...

A happy hello to everyone!  

I'm up on the Hello Bluebird blog with a sweet mini slimline card to welcome spring. I recently realized that I had yet to ink up the large 6x6 Birch Trees Background stamp so I had to remedy that situation. I love how tall and slender these birch trees are and since I wanted to play up that height I paired the stamp with the largest Nesting Mini Slimline die. Now all I had to decide was who would be hanging out in this forest. Flipping through my binders of Hello Bluebird stamps is always the best part. I usually find one character to inspire the scene, in this case it was the cute raccoon from the Fly a Kite set, then search the rest of the stamps sets to see who will be joining them. Because it wouldn't make much sense for my raccoon to be flying a kite around all those trees I chose to add a daisy from the Pig Day set into her hand instead. Next, I found the adorable chipmunk from the Fall Banner Buddies set and wiped the ink off the acorn he is originally holding, replacing it with another daisy. I then paired the little mole from the Bloom and Grow set with the big bear from the Tree Neighbors set because I really liked how they interacted with each other. Finally, I grabbed this sweet bird from the My Snowman set to add to the trees above as they would be a nice balance to the yellow flowers below.  

Once I had my cast of characters all picked out it was time to do some stamping and masking, not only so I could fit them all on the narrow mini slimline but they also needed to be masked so I could stamp the Birch Tree Background over top at the very end. When you are masking a scene together you always want to start with the characters or objects that are closest to the viewer and work your way back. In this case Mr. Mole and the chipmunk with the flower were first, then the bear, bee and raccoon with flower. Each of the birds had to be masked as well before I was finally able to line the trees up with where each one is perched and ink up the background. Because the Birch Tree stamp leaves an impression on the negative space between the trees I used a minty blue dye ink for that sky. Once the ink was dry I grabbed my BG72 Copic marker and sketched in the silhouettes of more trees further in the distance. Because the ink I used on the stamp was dye based I could safely do this without harming my marker. 

Now it was time to color and I started by adding some detail to the trees, going over the light blue ink marks with a light brown and some warm greys. The green grass and sunny yellow flowers where next followed by the birds who became an equally cheery yellow hue. Our friendly group of forest critters where the last to get colored up in a mix of warm and cool neutral tones. The speech bubble sentiment from the Tree Neighbors set was cut out using the coordinating die and popped up using foam adhesive. There is something really satisfying about seeing all of these various sets come together to create such a cute and happy card. :)

Stay crafty my friends!


Supply list:
cardstock- My Favorite Things and Catherine Pooler
ink- Memento rich cocoa, tuxedo black and Studio Calico glass slipper
Hello Bluebird Tree Neighbors coordinating dies
Copic markers:
trees/background trees- E42, W1, W2, W3, W4, W7/BG72
ground- E31, E55, E57, YG03, YG25, YG63, G94
mole- YR0000, YR000, YR00, E21, E23, R30, RV42, T1, T2, T3, T4
bear- E51, E53, E55, E44, R30, E04
raccoon- E40, E41, E42, W3, W4, W6, W8, R30, E04
chipmunk- E50, E51, E41, E31, E33, W3, W4, W8, R30
birds- Y11, Y21, Y26, W00, W0, W1, C2, N6
flowers- Y11, Y15, Y17, YG17,G20, E57
bee- Y13, Y17, E55, E57, BG000

 

0 comments: