Tuesday, June 21, 2022

No otter friend like you...

 Hello, hello!

I'm up on the Hello Bluebird blog today and I'm having a play with the super cute set, Otter Friends. These sweet marine mammals and their ocean shenanigans always bring summer fun to mind so this felt like the perfect time to ink them up again. There are three little fish also included in the Otter Friends set but I wanted the otters in this scene to be surrounded by a whole bunch of fish going about their business so I grabbed the Fishin' Hole set to add more in various sizes and shapes. I also borrowed seashells from the Seaside Girls set and a starfish from the Beach Babes set to rest down in the sandy seabed. I began building my scene by masking the scallop into the arms of the upper otter using my Misti stamp platform. This type of masking where you are tucking an item into the arms of a character in which it is both in front of and behind various body parts can be a bit tricky. I first had to create a mask of just the otter's forward arm and lay the mask onto the card stock. I then stamped the scallop over top, removed the arm mask, applied a scallop mask and then stamped the entire otter. Next, I removed the scallop mask, inked only the forward arm, and stamped it into the blank space that my initial mask of the arm created. Even for a crafter like me, who enjoys masking scenes together, this many steps can be a bit much, so I don't do it a whole lot. The cuteness factor it creates has to be worth it and seeing that scallop in the otter's paws is pretty darn cute if you ask me. Once I finished stamping and masking in all the fish and shells I was ready to begin coloring using Copic markers. I stuck with a very cool color palette for this under the waves scene, using a lot of green and blue-green hues. At the top of the card I wanted it to look like we could see the surface of the water separating the sky above from the watery world below. To help with that I added a smattering of white patches along the surface using a Sharpie extra fine paint pen, though any white gel pen will do the trick. The high contrast of the white looks a lot like sunlight sparkling across the waves. In the center where the wave bends, I added the perfect sentiment from the Otter Friends set to complete this sweet scene. 

Thanks for stopping by today and here's to keeping cool in this summer heat, even if it is only through our cards, LOL!

Supply list:
cardstock- My Favorite Things and Catherine Pooler
stamps- Hello Bluebird (Otter Friends, Fishin' Hole, Seaside Girls and Beach Babes)
ink- Memento tuxedo black and rich cocoa
My Favorite Things A2 stitched rectangle stax set 2
Sharpie extra fine white pen
Copic markers:
otters- E50, E40, E41, E43, E53, E71, E74, E77, E79, R30, R21, T7, 100
sand/seaweed- E50, E30, E31, E42, E43, E44/G94, G99
water- BG10, BG11, BG53, BG72, BG75
fish- YG01, YG05, FBG2, BG18/BG000, R00, W00, C1, C3, E93/C1, C3, C5, BG10, B01, B02/BG53, BG45, BG49, W0, Y11/YG0000, YG21, Y02, YG25, Y26/BG02, BG05, BG07, BG09, C1/Y11, Y13, Y08, YG03
shells/starfish- E81, E84, BV00, BV11, RV42, YR15, YR27
sky- Y0000, Y000, Y00, Y11

 

0 comments: