Monday, November 21, 2022

We wish you a Merry Christmas...

Good morning!

I'm up on the Hello Bluebird blog today and as Christmas nears it is always fun to try and capture as many different yuletide traditions as I can on the cards that I make. I have many fond childhood holiday memories that revolve around singing Christmas carols during school pageants and other group activities so I couldn't wait to ink up these adorable Merry Carolers. This set has so many sweet singers to choose from that it can be hard to narrow it down. Ultimately, I landed on the deer, moose and bunny trio because I really liked the interaction between them. As always, I ended up doing a bit of masking as I stamped up this scene using Memento Rich Cocoa ink. In particular, I wanted them to all be huddled close together under the lamp post that is also included in the Merry Carolers set. This placement would provide me with the perfect opportunity to play with light and shadows in a fun nighttime landscape. Night scenes are actually some of the quickest and easiest backgrounds to color in by hand because they tend to be fairly monochromatic. Working with a limited color palette speeds up the process because you aren't constantly pulling new markers to add to the mix. For this card I stuck with a handful of blue Copic markers to color the snow and sky as well as the simple little houses I added in the distance. Then I brought in a large patch of light yellow to add contrast and highlight the most important elements in the scene... our darling carolers. A few of the house windows also got to be lit up for added interest across the card front. Once everything was all colored up, I used the Nesting Deckle A2 dies to trim out the card front and glued it to a dark blue card base. As a finishing touch I stamped one of the Merry Carolers sentiments into the bottom left corner and used a white pen to add snow falling gently around these crooning critters.  :)

Stay crafty my friends!


Supply list:
cardstock- My Favorite Things and Copic X-Press It
stamps- Hello Bluebird (Merry Carolers
ink- Memento tuxedo black and rich cocoa

Hello Bluebird Nesting Deckle A2 die
Sharpie extra fine white pen

Copic markers:

lamp post- G14, G16, G28, Y0000, Y000, Y00, Y11

wreath- G24, G46, BG99, R24, R27, R89, Y00
bunny- W00, W2, W3, W4, W5, R000, R30, E41/E81, E84, BG45, BG49, BG78
deer- E40, E41, E42, E43, E44, E47, E31, E81, E84, W7, R000, R30/R85, R56, R59
moose- E21, E11, E13, E25, E40, E81, E84, R000, R30, W7/YG03, YG93, YG95, YG97
background- B91, B93, B95, B97, B99, BV29, B60, Y00


0 comments: