Wednesday, October 16, 2024

Hocus Pocus...

Hello, hello!

My sister Tee, got the Honolulu set of Ohuhu alcohol markers for her birthday and she asked me to play around with them a bit. Having been a Copic girl from day one of my coloring journey I was a bit intrigued to see how these new markers stack up. For my first foray into Ohuhus I grabbed this Halloween scene off my desk featuring one of the bewitching kitties from the Midnight's Halloween Adventures #3 set from Sweet November Stamps. In the background I had also stamped the castle window from the Halloween Room Add-on set. Now, while the markers themselves went on the paper just as smoothly as my Copics, I really struggled to try and understand the color numbering system on these markers. So it took me a lot longer than usual to color up this scene and the results are much clunkier and not as smooth of blends as I would have gotten with my Copics. This isn't a critique of the quality of the markers, just a lack of familiarity with the system itself on my part. I know this because after making this card Tee went and bought the Ohuhu hex chart from Sandy Allnock and my second go-round went a lot smoother because I could better visualize how the colors would blend rather than trying to decipher the number system that still reads like Greek to me. 

Does this mean I will be abandoning my Copics any time soon? No. Unless Copic markers disappear from the market and I have no other choice, they will remain my preferred method of coloring. I didn't even really run into any Ohuhus that I felt filled any obvious gaps in my Copic blends... not even in the purples, LOL! But this is all due to the fact that I've got 15 years of time, practice and money already invested with Copic markers and coloring with them almost feels like second nature at this point. If circumstances were different and I was just now being introduced to the world of alcohol marker coloring I think the Ohuhus are a great quality marker that I could see myself investing in. For now though, I am quite content to borrow Tee's set from time to time to continue to play and experiment. And I promise I will continue to share any combos that I come up with here on the ol' blog just like I do with the Copics.  :)

Laters!

 

Supply list:
cardstock- My Favorite Things and Catherine Pooler

stamps- Sweet November (Midnight's Halloween Adventures #3 and Halloween Room Add-on)

ink- Memento tuxedo black

Mama Elephant stitched deckle die

Sharpie extra fine white pen

Ohuhu markers (honolulu set):

cat/hat- NG03, NG06, NG09, WG050, WG120, GG9, R29, R284/Y050, GY5, G7/V070, P1, R16

tablecloth-
V250, V270, V320, P5, GG9
open book/candle- WG01, E280, E440, Y070, Y7/GY173, YG080, Y050, Y10

skull- E160, E440, E300, WG130

sky- B220, B140, PB1, B350, R13, V390, V450

floor/wall- WG050, E432, E434, WG09

books/scroll- YG040, YG080/Y180, E080/GY7, GY8, GY42/GG1, GG3, GG5, E400, E430/GY4, GY5

sign- GY5, GY2, G7, WG130

 

0 comments: