Saturday, July 1, 2023

Friends are like seashells...

Hello there!

I'm back on the Bellariffic blog and now that we've officially welcomed in the summer season, I wanted to head back to the beach with today's Scenic Saturday card. This time around, rather than bright and playful, I opted for a more serene vibe with Uptown Girl Sylvia and the Seashell. I imagined this beautiful girl strolling through the sand at the end of a long summer day as the setting sun created a kaleidoscope of color painted across her world. To help me achieve that look I went straight to Google and searched beach sunset photos until I found the perfect picture to inspire my color palette. The mix of coral reds and peachy orange with the pale lavender and teal was really different than my usual go-to colors and I welcomed the fun challenge of trying to re-create the look with my Copic markers. I placed the horizon line slightly above the middle of the card because I knew I would need a bit more room for the sea than I would for the sky. Next, I began blending up from the horizon line starting with the reds and left a space the for the sun itself to be seen setting just behind Sylvia. That choice of placement helps pull focus right to her, just like a spotlight. Then it was time to blend down with the same colors and create the sea. To make sure it didn't end up looking like another sky I purposefully avoided super smooth blends and opted for some texture lines instead, mimicking rippling waves. Once the sunset background was completed I added one of the two sentiments that come with Sylvia to the bottom right corner of the card using a dark brown ink. I also added some sea bird silhouettes in the same dark brown to the upper right corner of the card. Both of these together create a "visual triangle" with Sylvia's dark brown hair, which is a design trick to help add a pleasing balance to the overall design. Now, I don't know about you, but I can almost hear the same gentle lapping of waves on the sand that Sylvia is hearing in her seashell.  :)

Stay crafty my friends!

 

Supply list:
cardstock- My Favorite Things and Copic X-Press It

stamps- Stamping Bella (Uptown Girl Sylvia and the Seashell), Sweet November Stamps (Background Builder: Seaside Cliffs)
ink- Memento tuxedo black and Catherine Pooler icing on the cake
Papertrey Ink Noted scallop die

Sharpie extra fine white pen

Copic markers:
skin- E000, E00, E11, E04, R00, R20

hair- E74, E77, E79

dress/bag- BG10, BG11, BG13, BG72, BG75/E33, E35, E44

shells- E50, E81, E97, E99/BV20, BV23

crab- YR65, YR07, YR09

sand- E31, E34, E43, E44

sky/sea- R12, R32, R35, YR00, YR01, YR02, YR82, YR21, Y11, Y02, BV00, BV13, BV04, B60, B63, BG11, BG13, BG72



 

1 comments:

Jes said...

Absolutely stunning! Love her dress shading & the sea/sky is gorgeous!!