Saturday, October 1, 2011

A Christmas angel...

Hey guys!

So what did you think of that first round of previews this past week? Pretty fun holiday stuff, huh? :)
And the fun will continue tomorrow when I shine the spotlight on a new SN Guest gal followed by Sweet November and ATS previews starting up Monday... SO exciting!

As for today, I thought I would share one of the other new Some Odd Girl digi release cards that I made and had up on the SOG blog but hadn't posted over here yet. This is Angel Kaylee and to me she looks like a 21st century kind of angel, what with her hip outfit and accessorizing. ;)
I thought it would be cool to have her flying through a Christmas Eve night sky and I actually found this paper in a non-Christmas paper pad. Yep, this awesome starry background is from the the Campfire line by October Afternoon. And it was so perfect for my vision of the card that I didn't want to detract from it with any other papers. So instead I found an extra large sentiment stamp and heat embossed it in white so that it would show up nice and bright, as well as become a decorative element on an otherwise pretty simple card. The only other embellishing comes from some thin gold embroidery floss threads (or rays of light) and a star gem in Kaylee's hand. This is pretty CAS for me folks, LOL!

I colored her up in very light tones because I wanted her to look really ethereal. I have a video covering how I do white/light hair that you can see here or on the Color Me Copic blog. It's not this image but the same principles are applied. Whenever I want a character to have 'white' hair I think about what kind of environment they are in because the colors around them would be reflected in the white hair which determines the color of shadows and shading that I use to add dimension to an otherwise flat look. And it can be any color you want, just so long as you stick with very light shades of that color and leave a lot of the white cardstock showing.
Take Kaylee here, I chose to have her hair be influenced by the light yellow color in the stars. But I could have gotten a whole different look by choosing to 'reflect' more of the sky in her hair color by going with light blues for the shading instead. There is no right or wrong with this, just go with whatever your imagination comes up with! :)

Alrighty, time for me to go get ready for work. Hope your weekend is filled with lots of fun stamping and crafty time! Supply list:
cardstock- Bazzill and Copic X-Press It
paper- October Afternoon (Campfire)
digital stamp- Some Odd Girl (Angel Kaylee)
stamp- Hero Arts (sentiment)

ink- Versamark clear

Zing white embossing powder

gold embroidery floss

star gem

EK
Success gold pen

Sharpie white marker

Copic
Spica glitter pen

Copic
markers:

skin- E50, E51, YR00, R00, R21, B0000, B000

hair- YR30, Y0000, Y11

eyes- BG0000, BG11, BG53

clothes/wings- E40, E41, 0, G0000, G000, G00, C1, C3, 0

20 comments:

Juls said...

stunningly magical card! I love it!! Hugs Juls

Leanne said...

gorgeous card Amy! Have a good day at work!

Caroline said...

This is soooo adorable!! Love the light hair and colours you chose - it stands out so much from the background!! LOVE it!!

Cindy H. said...

This is such a sweet image and I love the way you colored her - so soft and *angelic*!! The starry bg paper is absolutely perfect with this angel.

RiNNE said...

She is the coolest angel ever (charlie's angel??). :). Love her coloring and the dark, awesome background!

Heidi Brawley said...

OOOh this is Awesome!!! I saw this on their blog. new immediately it was your work! lol love your creativity!
Hugs, Heidi

Maria Therese said...

Gorgeous sweetie love the simple background gets the odd girl to really shine ♥

Creations by Shirl said...

Angel Kaylee is so pretty....love the bg papers makes this sweet angel just pop out on the card...
Very magical! Have a great weekend Amy!

Robin said...

Gorgeous card! Happy World Cardmaking Day!!
Robin

Unknown said...

O wow this is fabulous Amy, love the background DP, so elegant xx

yvon said...

She's gorgeous, wow. So beautiful colord, love your card.
Hugs, Yvon

Rhonda Miller said...

What a stunning card.

Crafty Loops said...

Amy this card is beautiful, I love the midnight blue. Lee x

Stamping Cafe said...

WOW... this is so stunning and magical, Amy! Fantastic design, LOVE it! Hope you are enjoying a happy weekend, happy WCMD to you!

WickedPixie said...

Beautiful! I bought my first SOG digi's this week thanks to your gorgeous cards! Now I just have to figure out a way to make my own cards with them because yours were so awesome that is all I can think of! :-) Traci

Vera Yates (Ling) said...

Amy, when I grow up, I want to color like you! Love this card! :)

gobeagirl said...

Amy this is such a beautiful card. I love the papers that you found to go with her. It looks like it was made just for what you wanted. Love your coloring as always. Again, thanks so much for my package today. You really are the sweetest. Hugs, Lisa

kris said...

i am SO loving this card!!! my fave from all your SOG previews... after seeing it on the SOG blog, i had to get her... and i did! now, when will i create with her?!?! hehe... thanks for the beautiful inspiration!

chrilvian said...

ooooo so sweeet
love it

Rosa Forino said...

trovo questa card davvero romantica e semplicemente fantastica!!!