Tuesday, July 5, 2011

She's a material girl...

Hello and good morning!

I had a lovely day yesterday, it was quite the fun celebration capped off by a night of watching the fireworks being let off from the lake... the perfect 4th of July. :)

I decided to pull out my Kraftin' Kimmie stamps for my card today, it just felt like it had been a while since any of them saw ink. So I hopped on over to the the Kraftin' Kimmie challenge to see what was going on this week and the challenge is to use fabric or material on your card. Normally this one might throw me for a loop but lucky me, I had just gotten an order that included some very cool fabric yo-yos by Basic Grey. Normally I don't buy a lot of embellishments but I wanted to get up to free shipping so I threw these into my cart, thinking they would be much larger than they turned out to be. But when my package arrived and I saw their small size and how perfect they would be on cards I fell in love! LOL
My first instinct was to order more but then I realized that I could probably find a tutorial on fabric yo-yos, go get some cool fabric and then make my own in any color that I want. So now that is my new plan! ;)

Anywho, since I knew what embellies I was going to use to fit the challenge I decided to keep things simple and use the coordinating paper pack, called Out of Print. These papers are awesome because all of the patterns have have some kind of book or newspaper print added to them. And that made deciding on a specific stamp very easy... it just had to be one of the fairies and I chose Lilybelle this time around.
Why did it have to be a fairy you ask? Have you ever read "Lady Cottington's Pressed Fairy Book" by Terry Jones and Brian Froud? It's such a fun and amazing book and if you love fairies I highly recommend it. So these decorative book type of papers had me wanting to create my own 'pressed fairy' on my card. I even paper pieced her skirt out of the newspaper print 'cause I thought it would be cool if the fairies recycled newspaper into their wardrobe... how's that for some round about inspiration, LOL! :)

In fact I've previously played around with the idea of creating some 'pressed' fairy type stamps, totally inspired by the idea of capturing them with a 'smack!' of the book pages. I think it would be hilarious stamping something like that on the inside of a card. But it is also a little bit disturbing too, when ya think about it, LOL... so I doubt that there would be a big demand. I guess that means the fairies will remain safe and sound for the time being. ;)

Well, I should really get moving. Have a wonderful day my friends!
Supply list:
cardstock- Bazzill and Copic X-Press It
paper- Basic Grey (Out of Print)
stamps- Kraftin' Kimmie (Fairy Lilybelle and sentiment)
ink- Memento tuxedo black and Colorbox dark brown
Basic Grey Out of Print fabric yo-yos
Prima leaves
Paper Trey Ink twine
Martha Stewart 3-in-1 butterfly punch
Sakura stardust glitter pen
Copic Spica glitter pen
Sharpie white marker
Copic markers:
E000, E00, E11, R00, R20
hair- C5, C7, C9
eyes- BG53, BG75
everything else- C0, C1, RV000, RV00, RV02, G0000, G000, G00, R81, R83, R85

17 comments:

Maria Therese said...

Gorgeous fairy card sweetie :)

Kellie said...

I take it back, your not the big head queen, I have been noticing more and more how amazing you are at cutting out images and all the fine little details, WOW and this card is just GORGEOUS!

Hugs Kellie

Mette said...

Brilliant card. Love the papers and embellishments. Just super.

Hugs, Mette

Brenda said...

Another gorgeous card. I love the papers and fabric flowers. love how you paper pieced her skirt! So fabulous! Hugs~Bren

gobeagirl said...

Hi Amy. This is just adorable! I love your little fairy with her newpaper skirt. She I just too cute. I also really love your choice of paper on this one. lol... :O) I wish I had purchased those yoyo flowers. Too cute. Didn't see those. Have a great day. Hugs, Lisa

Sudha said...

Pretty fairy card dear.

Nancy Thomas said...

Gorgeous card Amy - it totally looks like she is in a garden. And girl, I can make you all the yo-yos you want!

Hlora said...

She is so pretty! and the sentiment is fantastic! I wish I had any nice sentiments to use in my cards..)))

Juls said...

WOW WOW WOW!!!!!!!!!!! Out of this world!!!!! LOVE everything about this, the background is just amazing ... lobe tour image, your colouring is stunning, and I love the way she is looking up to the top of your card. all the flowers are amazing, and I love the torn paper detail! Hugs Juls

serina said...

wow, i love this one!

Leanne said...

Beautiful card Amy!! Love the fun theme and the story behind it! You should definitely write a book and stamp that fairy on the inside. hehe! Have a good week!! :)

WickedPixie said...

Hi Amy! Lovely card! I should have known you would know about Lady C's Pressed Fairies book! I have a copy of that, although I haven't looked at it in a looong time - I need to go dig it out! I had a t-shirt too, but it is too small now and has become a sleep shirt for my daughter! :-)Traci

kris said...

Gorgeous card!! Love the torn and vintage look of the papers! soft and beautiful!! Awesome!

Unknown said...

Such a pretty card! :)

1LuvnMama said...

You are one crafty lady Amy! :) Luv the fabric flowers . . . oh so perfect!

Tasha said...

Oh this is fairy beautiful! I love the flowers and the gorgoeus dp, great layout too
love tasha xx

donna mikasa said...

Adorable card! Love those fabric yo-yos (yes, I'm sure you could make your own!) and your fussy cutting is always a treat to behold!