Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Wednesday challenge once again!

Good morning friends!


I hope you all are making it through the week all right. Me? Oh, I just keep doing my thing between work and home... nothing much exciting going on here. But that's ok, at least I've got a card to share! :)


So there's a new ATS challenge up today to create the look of cracked glass using embossing powder and I'll be the first to admit that I was kinda dreading this one. I was familiar with the technique but it's just not one that really lends itself to my usual style of card making. I wracked my brain trying to figure out a way to make it work ... I flipped through my stamps hoping one of them would tell me what to do. And wouldn't ya know that miss Treasure was just waiting to give me the solution to my dilemma. ;)

She said that she needed a big mirror for her grotto and I agreed. So I did a quick sketch and then colored it up... once that was done I started to add layers of UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel) to the 'glass'. I think I did about five layers of heating and adding more UTEE before I was satisfied with the thickness. Then once it had cooled I simply bent the image in a few different spots until it cracked. Now I wonder why I was so hesitant to try this out in the first place, LOL!


I also have to give credit to my pal Rach, for inspiring me to try a different way of coloring up Treasure's tail. I absolutely adored her Treasure card from a few days ago and I couldn't wait to do this more scaley looking coloring technique. Thanks Rach! :)


Think you may want to crack some glass this week? We would love to have you join us! Just remember, every week there is a new and exciting prize being offered and in order to be eligible to win, your card must include a stamp that is sold in the All That Scraps store. Whether it is any of our wonderful in house designs or from the various other stamp companies that ATS carries, the choice is yours. Then be sure to link up your creation with Mr Linky by next Tuesday at 10pm est and only one entry per person please!


Later gators!






Supply list:
cardstock- Bazzill and PTI
paper- Making Memories (stripe), Basic Grey (solid teal), My Mind's Eye (green), unknown bubble texture paper
stamp- Sweet November (Treasure Tempestwind)
ink- Memento tuxedo black and Colorbox dark brown chalk ink
Doodlebug alpha rub-ons
Making Memories paper flowers
brads
Kaiser Craft epoxy droplets
gems
Ranger Stickles and Liquid Pearls
UTEE (ultra thick embossing enamel)
Versamark embossing marker
Copic multiliner 0.3 pen
Copic markers:
skin- E000, E00, E11, R20, RV04
eyes- E55, E57, E59
hair- RV0000, RV000, RV00, RV02, 0
tail- YG95, YG97, YG99, Y13, Y15
top/gems- Y13, Y35, Y38, G05, G07, B12, B16, R46, R59
mirror- YR31, Y26, YR23, Y28, Y11, G0000, G000, G00, 0

24 comments:

Debbie Pamment said...

Love the little underwater scene you've created - awesome job!
xXx

Kellie said...

WOW this is gorgeous! I love that she has a mirror so suited! AND WOW that tail is amazing! My daughter was calling her Ariel today, so I had to stamp some for her to play with! We love her!
Hugs Kel x

Leah l'Orange said...

oooh, the mirror turned out fabby, Amy! and i was admiring that tail the other day, too - of COURSE you've rocked it! brilliant!

Juls said...

so gorgeous!!! I love her pink hair and the layout is just fabby! Hugs Juls

Unknown said...

Absolutely beautiful! I love the image and the sentiment. :)

Michelle said...

Another fabulous card. I got my mermaids in the mail and can't wait to play with them tonight.

Cassie_lu said...

fab idea to use that technique on a mirror and the coloring of the mermaids tails is beautiful.

RiNNE said...

Look at this stuff
Isn't it neat?
Wouldn't you think
my collection's complete?

Wouldn't you think I'm a girl...
A girl who has everything?

AWESOME! Reminds me of The Little Mermaid! Beautifully colored and I love the 'special effects!'

Maria Therese said...

Gorgeous!! Love your coloring!!

Leanne said...

This is pretty fantastic! I love how you colored Treasure's tail, it's unbelievable that it's not a sticker! Love the mirror too. I guess it's always scary when you don't try huh? Great card Amy!!

Kimberly S said...

Your coloring is always amazing Amy, and this scene is just fabulous! :)

Pöydän kulmalla näpertelijä said...

Wow! I love her pink hair and the bubbly dp. What a fun scene. I got my very own Fathom Calmsea today, but she doesn't stamp properly :-(
Your little mermaids are so adorable and I love their little friends. Can't wait to see more samples from you.

Kate said...

This is so pretty! What a cool technique on the mirror, and her tail looks so great!

Bumbles and Fairy-Tales said...

So pretty! I love the underwater scenery you've created with the bubble paper and flowers! The mirror is perfect! and Treasure is gorgeous! I really love how her coloring turned out! Beautiful work :)
hugs, margie

Shirley N said...

I love your mirror and how you did Treasure's tail--just gorgeous! Wonderful job on the cracked glass look Amy!

Claireabelle said...

Fabulous Amy!!! x

Crafty Jenn said...

Your cracked mirror turned out great! Helps create a perfect scene. I like Treasure's pink hair too!

<3 Jenn

Joy said...

such a cute card...those mermaids are so sweet. love what you did as she's checking herself out in the mirror...heehee. have a good hump day!

1LuvnMama said...

Mirror, mirror in the grotto, who's the fairest one of them all! But TREASURE is! :) Luv the mirror/cracked effect and TREASURE . . . she is gorgeous! Her tail is one I would luv to wear!

WickedPixie said...

What a fantastic idea! Treasure looks like she was made to look at herself in the mirror (and who could blame her!?) :-)Traci

Tonje said...

Gorgeous card. Love the sparkly tail and the mirror is fab!

JenRaff said...

I love this card so much -- I keep coming back to look at it! That mirror is amazing! You are so lucky you can draw like this! Gorgeous!!!!

Alice said...

such a beauty! love your idea to add a mirror for Treasure!

mycardz said...

OMGoodness! What a perfect image for a perfect mirrow! Awesome card, you always amaze me with your creations!