Thursday, September 22, 2011

An Odd color challenge

Hello again stampin' peeps!

Today I've got a card for the new Photo Inspired Color Challenge over at Some Odd Girl.
The pic is up over on the SOG blog and it features a beautiful combination of pinks, lime greens and aquas all in a cool looking non-traditional Christmas wreath. Now you don't have to make a Christmas card with it but sometimes it can be fun to go a bit crazy and shake up the traditional red and green. ;)

I decided to ink up the newest Oddie, Holly Day Gwen because I love her party like flair and she's just such a little beauty. And while the papers I chose to work with aren't really Christmas prints I think that by pairing them with all that snowy white they work as a fun and flirty Christmas card. The ornaments were kind of a happy accident... I ordered these 'raspberry beads' from Maya Road and when I got them they were much bigger and bulkier than I had expected them to be. I didn't even think that I'd be able to use them on anything. But as I was fiddling with them I noticed that I could pry them in half and use glue dots to attach them. This way they reminded me of fancy ornaments and even if they make it so I have to send this card in a bubble mailer I'm cool with it... getting the perfect look and putting them to use is totally worth it.


Alrighty, time for you to get inspired and colorful and show us your take on the challenge! You've got until October 4th to enter a card for a chance at winning a fab prize and while you don't have to use a SOG image to qualify, you do get an extra name in the hat come drawing time if you do. :)

Have fun and good luck!
Supply list:
cardstock- Bazzill and Copic X-Press It
paper- Basic Grey (Lemonade)
stamps- Some Odd Girl (Holly Day Gwen and sentiment)
ink- Memento tuxedo black and Colorbox creamy brown
Maya road raspberry beads
ribbon
gold embroidery floss
Sharpie white marker
Copic Spica glitter pen
Copic markers:
skin- E35, E37, E39, E07
eyes- E55, E57, E59
hair- C5, C7, C9, 100
clothes- RV10, RV11, RV23, YG01, YG03, YG25, RV21, RV25, RV29, BG11, BG13, BG15, E40, E41, 0

28 comments:

Annette Allen said...

This is adorable Amy... great colors..

Larisa said...

wow! Great idea to make her brown skin - this looks unusual and great Amy!

Leah l'Orange said...

gorrrrrrrrr-jussssssss!
i flippin' LOVE those little raspberry beads, Amy! and your summery colours for this chrimbo card? makes me want to go on vacation. this is fabulous, girl! xo

Mary said...

She looks gorgeous, very cute.

Creations by Shirl said...

Hi Amy~
I think Holly Gwen came out awesomely cute.... Luv the colors of her outfit they look very delish... Those ornaments are unique I really like those along with the papers and your layout...
Such a fab card!

Cindy H. said...

OMGoodness, this is just so adorable!! Love the ornaments, too.

RiNNE said...

This is beautiful, Amy! Love her coloring, and the ornaments are gorgeous! But I gotta admit, I'm sad. Had the same idea of hanging embellies like those with string except mine are pompoms for a bride image ... hehehe! But great minds think alike LOL!

Alina said...

Lovely card! Love the colors in it!

Rhonda Miller said...

I just love your card.

Cor* said...

I lURVE how you hung the ornaments! And the way you colored Holly Day Gwen is phenomenal!! Amazing!

Myrna said...

wow! hace dias me inscribi a tu candy y hoy he pasado a ver algunos de tus post, tus tarjetas son increibles... ya pase a ser una mas de tus seguidoras!!

saludos!

Crafty Loops said...

This is a gorgeous card Amy, I love the baubles they look amazing.(PS....I have a big blog candy being offered over on my blog if you fancy a peep) Lee xx

corryskaart said...

hi amy
je kaart ziet er zoals gewoon weer perfect uit,heel erg lief!
groetjes van corry

copilarim said...

i loev the card and the little girl is so cute!!

Dotty Jo said...

Sweet! Jo x

Lou Mac said...

WOWZERS girl!! Your cards always make me wanna get my craft on ASAP!!

I LOVE how you've coloured her skin - the detail you've achieved on her face is just perfection!!

I love your happy accident with the raspberry beads - best looking ornaments I ever did see!! Gorgeous card Amy. You ROCK!!

xo

gobeagirl said...

Amy this is fantastic and I love your happy accident with the ornaments. I mean you could not have made a better one if you tried. I love how they make your card look. Just wonderful my friend. I haven't gotten any crafting in as Jerry and I walked around downtown before we picked up the kids and now we are the new owners of a longish haired tabby kitten that Jerry has named Boo. She is so sweet and she doesn't meow at all. Lucy of course has her nose a little bent out of shape, but she is staying close to me so I am hoping they will work it out. lol.... Hope you are having a great day. Hugs, Lisa

mfc.melissamade2 said...

Amy this is truly a beautiful card! Man I wish I had your skills when it comes to paper and matching!!! Wow really - this is gorgeous!
Hugs,
M

SuiLan said...

I love the colors and image you used. Love love the hair. I Gotta go practice!

Nitasha said...

The colors are awesome!!! Gorgeous card!

Виола said...

so lovely card! like it! ))

Unknown said...

t's so great!!!!!!!

Rachel said...

great colors, lovely card!:)

Teresa Carini said...

Very nice!!!!I like the colors! the details!
A hug!

Leanne said...

Wonderful card Amy! Fun and flirty and those Maya Road baubles are perfect for a fancy ornament. Love when you make things work out. You're like Macgyver. :)

Trina said...

This is such a cute card! The beads are great ornaments, and you colored Gwen beautifully!

Cami said...

Amy, your coloring is phenomenal! I wish I had an "eye" for color blending the way you do. And what a great idea to separate the beads and use them as ornaments! They are a lovely addition!
Hugs, Cami

Juls said...

fabulous!!! I love the gorgeous colours!! and I love the white sparkly white baubles!! Hugs Juls