Monday, June 1, 2015

All the stars...

Hello, hello! 

As I mentioned on Friday, I've decided to do something a bit different this month and have all of the stamps I use follow a specific theme. So June is going to be the month of mermaids on the ol' Thousand Sheets blog! I realized recently that I have mermaid stamps from all but one of my favorite stamp companies and this will be a fantastic way to get more of them on to cards this summer.

Because I want to play along in this week's Kraftin Kimmie challenge to 'distress it' my KK mermaids were the first up to kick off this whole wet and wild month. I hadn't inked up any of the beauties from the Sea Jewels set yet so that was the first place I looked and funnily enough I kind of got side tracked into doing an altered mermaid instead. But when I saw Arielle swinging on her swing I couldn't help but think she would make for a pretty awesome mermaid herself. So I only inked her to her waist and wiped away her halter top and the strings in her hands, then stamped Arielle onto Copic X-Press It. I then borrowed the tail from one of the Sea Jewels and stamped it onto a separate scrap of cardstock. Once I had drawn in a stylish new seashell top all I had to do was color and then glue the two halves together. Voila... Arielle the mermaid, LOL! ;)
I used a Tim Holtz edge distressor to rough up the edges of that background paper and did a bit of paper tearing on the sentiment strip to fit the challenge. Then I found this great sentiment that is actually part of a different kind of star set from Hero Arts but it got my creative juices flowing even faster. I had needed something for Arielle to hold on to since her hands that had once been hanging on to a swing where now just raised randomly in the air and how perfect would it be to give her a few starfish to match that sentiment? I gotta say, I kinda love how this all came together.

Ok, time for me to get this day going. So much to do, so much to do. 
Thanks for stopping by!  :)    
Supply list:
cardstock- Bazzill and Copic X-Press It
paper- Heidi Grace (Beyond the Sea)
stamps- Kraftin Kimmie (Arielle and Sea Jewels set), Hero Arts (sentiment)
ink- Memento tuxedo black, Hero Arts ombre
Kaiser Craft pearls
Wink of Stella clear glitter pen
Copic markers:
skin- E000, E00, E11, R00, R20, R22, B00, YG00
eyes- G16, G29, BG000, 0
hair- YR30, YR31, YR82, YR65, E33
tail- YG00, YG01, YG23, G16, G29, Y02
top- G00, BG32, G16
starfish- YR16, YR17, Y02

4 comments:

Heidi Brawley said...

O M G!!!!!!!!! I LOVE this and your mad skills!!!!! Mermaid month huh?!?! Well that's like getting cyber Birthday happiness all month long now!!!!! I made a mermaid card over the weekend. Hope to get it up on my blog today. Have a Fintastic week doll!!!!
Hugs, Heidi and Brooke

Dotty Jo said...

Such fun! Fabulous colouring as always, Jo x

Julie D. Richards said...

You are the queen of alterations. Gorgeous. Love this month's theme.

Kate said...

Oh she is so shimmery in her beautiful underwater land! I'm really looking forward to this month's theme, how fun! I have "Nerissa" but haven't colored her yet, so this was just the inspiration I needed to get started! The hair and tails from the Sea Jewels collection look like they would be so fun to color. Do you have the Julie Nutting mermaid? I hope she pops up this month. I have no idea how to color her! Have an awesome week!